Subject: Re: windows consoles
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: Dirk Fieldhouse <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 10:33:45 -0400

On Sun, Oct 10, 1999 at 01:18:46PM +0000, Dirk Fieldhouse wrote:
>On Sun, 10 Oct 1999 07:22:20 +0300 (FLE Daylight Time), Tor Lillqvist <tml at iki dot fi>
>wrote:
>
>>Earnie Boyd writes:
>> > Isn't there a CreateConsole() function?
>>
>>There is AllocConsole(). After calling that you can (at least in
>>mingw32 programs) do freopen ("CONOUT$", "w", stdout).
>
>A problem is that you can't tell whether your Windows program needs you
>to do AllocConsole at all.  Supposedly (ie according to the Win32 API
>spec) AllocConsole fails if you already have one.
>
>However under W95 this doesn't happen.  You always get another console
>window, even if you started the program from a command prompt.
>Alternatively, your console output all goes into the bitbucket in the
>sky.  There seems to be no way to access the command window from which
>you started an executable built for the Windows subsystem.

How about trying to open (or CreateFile) either the "CONIN$" or "CONOUT$"
device?  That should fail if you don't have a console.

-chris

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]