Subject: B20: Cygwin.bat. Set path line wrong?
From: Martin Harper <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 20:45:24 +0100

Ridiculously petty bug here, but would maybe fox a novice.

With a Path set to include a long filename, such as this one set like
this:
set PATH="C:\Windows;C:\Windows\Command;C:\Program
Files\IBM\jdk1.1.8\bin"

The default cygwin.bat fails to set the path. This is because it fails
to put inverted commas round the path. This means that windows treats
the space after 'Program' as a new argument. This then means that
cygwin.bat fails to find bash. The user gets an error message similar
to:

Too many Arguments         - From the failure to set path
No such File or Command        - From the ensuing failure to find bash

Workaround: change the set path line in cygwin.bat to:

SET PATH="C:\Program Files\Cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin;%PATH%"

Note that it is now possible to specify the long pathname: potentially
useful if some idiot decides to move the Program Files folder, create a
folder called something like "Program Faces" and then move Program Files
back. (Thereby causing C:/progra~1 to be the incorrect directory). Don't
laugh: a dodgy windows program did this to me once...

Win95 Ver 4.0 build 67109975  B
Cygnus Release B20.1

Sincere apologies if this has been covered: Couldn't find mention of it
in archives or FAQ.

Martin "MyRedDice" Harper - [email-masked]

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]