Subject: B20.1 bug report: collect2.exe hangs during linking C/C++-programs
From: Bart Van Assche <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 12:15:23 +0000

I experienced an annoying problem with the Cygwin gcc/g++-environment:
my source files are compiled OK, but gcc/g++ hangs during linking. See
below for a test case and detailed output. While the test was performed
on a network-filesystem, the same problem occurs on a local filesystem.
I am using Cygwin beta 20.1:

    bash-2.02$ uname -a
    CYGWIN_NT-4.0 SHANNON 20.1 (0.3/1/1) 1998-12-3 20:39:18 i686 unknown

I have also appended the output of 'cygcheck -s -v -r' to this E-mail.
Further information: the system has the hostname 'Shannon', has four
Pentium Pro CPU's, and has the NT Terminal Server Edition software
installed.

Please note that I am not on the Cygwin mailing list.

-- 
Bart Van Assche, Universiteit Gent, Vakgroep ELIS
St.-Pietersnieuwstraat 41, B-9000 Gent
tel.: +32(9)2643367, E-mail: [email-masked]
WWW: http://www.elis.rug.ac.be/~bvassche

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
test case
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
bash-2.02$ echo "int main(int, char**) { return 0; }" >gcc-test.cpp ; \ 
           gcc -v gcc-test.cpp
Reading specs from
q:\PROGRA~1\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\..\lib\gcc-lib\i586-
cygwin32\egcs-2.91.57\specs
gcc version egcs-2.91.57 19980901 (egcs-1.1 release)

q:\PROGRA~1\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\..\lib\gcc-lib\i586-cygwin32\egcs-2.91
.57\cpp.exe -lang-c++ -v -iprefix
q:\PROGRA~1\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\..\li
b/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32\egcs-2.91.57\ -undef -D__GNUC__=2 -D__GNUG__=2
-D__cplus
plus -D__GNUC_MINOR__=91 -Di386 -D_WIN32 -DWINNT -D_X86_=1 -D__STDC__=1
-D__stdc
all=__attribute__((__stdcall__)) -D__cdecl=__attribute__((__cdecl__))
-D__declsp
ec(x)=__attribute__((x)) -D__i386__ -D_WIN32 -D__WINNT__ -D_X86_=1
-D__STDC__=1
-D__stdcall=__attribute__((__stdcall__))
-D__cdecl=__attribute__((__cdecl__)) -D
__declspec(x)=__attribute__((x)) -D__i386 -D__WINNT -Asystem(winnt)
-Acpu(i386)
-Amachine(i386) -D__EXCEPTIONS -remap -Acpu(i386) -Amachine(i386) -Di386
-D__i38
6 -D__i386__ -Di586 -Dpentium -D__i586 -D__i586__ -D__pentium
-D__pentium__ -D__
CYGWIN32__ -D__CYGWIN__ gcc-test.cpp P:\TEMP\56\cceNJj3f.ii
GNU CPP version egcs-2.91.57 19980901 (egcs-1.1 release) (80386, BSD
syntax)
#include "..." search starts here:
#include <...> search starts here:

q:\PROGRA~1\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\..\lib\gcc-lib\i586-cygwin32\egcs-2.91
.57\..\..\..\..\..\include\g++

q:\PROGRA~1\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\..\lib\gcc-lib\i586-cygwin32\egcs-2.91
.57\..\..\..\..\..\include

q:\PROGRA~1\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\..\lib\gcc-lib\i586-cygwin32\egcs-2.91
.57\..\..\..\..\i586-cygwin32\include

q:\PROGRA~1\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\..\lib\gcc-lib\i586-cygwin32\egcs-2.91
.57\include
End of search list.

q:\PROGRA~1\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\..\lib\gcc-lib\i586-cygwin32\egcs-2.91
.57\cc1plus.exe P:\TEMP\56\cceNJj3f.ii -quiet -dumpbase gcc-test.cc
-version -o
P:\TEMP\56\cczmFjmv.s
GNU C++ version egcs-2.91.57 19980901 (egcs-1.1 release) (i586-cygwin32)
compile
d by GNU C version egcs-2.91.57 19980901 (egcs-1.1 release).

q:\PROGRA~1\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\..\lib\gcc-lib\i586-cygwin32\egcs-2.91
.57\..\..\..\..\i586-cygwin32\bin\as.exe -o P:\TEMP\56\cciKEbxS.o
P:\TEMP\56\ccz
mFjmv.s

q:\PROGRA~1\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\..\lib\gcc-lib\i586-cygwin32\egcs-2.91
.57\collect2.exe
q:\PROGRA~1\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\..\lib\gcc-lib\i586-cy
gwin32\egcs-2.91.57\..\..\..\..\i586-cygwin32\lib\crt0.o
-Lq:\PROGRA~1\cygnus\CY
GWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\..\lib\gcc-lib\i586-cygwin32\egcs-2.91.57
-Lq:\PROGRA~1\cygn
us\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\..\lib\gcc-lib
-Lq:\PROGRA~1\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\b
in\..\lib\gcc-lib\i586-cygwin32\egcs-2.91.57\..\..\..\..\i586-cygwin32\lib
-Lq:\
PROGRA~1\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\..\lib\gcc-lib\i586-cygwin32\egcs-2.91.57\
..\..\.. P:\TEMP\56\cciKEbxS.o -lgcc -lcygwin -lkernel32 -ladvapi32
-lshell32 -l
gcc

*** after I hit control-C:

/home/noer/src/b20/comp-tools/devo/gcc/gcc.c:2570: Internal compiler
error in fu
nction execute
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
cygcheck -s -v -r output:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cygnus Win95/NT Configuration Diagnostics
Current System Time: Tue Sep 28 14:03:28 1999

WinNT Ver 4.0 build 1381 Service Pack 3

Path:	//q/PROGRA~1/cygnus/CYGWIN~1/H-I586~1/bin
	/WTSRV/system32
	/WTSRV
	//Q/program files/ntreskit
	//Q/program files/ntreskit/Perl
	//Q/Program Files/Emacs20.3.1/bin

SysDir: P:\WTSRV\System32
WinDir: P:\WTSRV\Profiles\bvassche\Windows

MAKE_MODE = `UNIX'
PWD = `//z'

!Q: = `Q:\Program Files\cygnus\cygwin-b20'
CLIENTNAME = `linmp1'
COMPUTERNAME = `SHANNON'
COMSPEC = `P:\WTSRV\system32\cmd.exe'
HOMEDRIVE = `P:'
HOMEPATH = `\WTSRV\Profiles\bvassche'
HOSTNAME = `shannon'
HOSTTYPE = `i586'
LOGONSERVER = `\\SPEECHPC1'
MACHTYPE = `i586-pc-cygwin32'
NTRESKIT = `Q:\program files\ntreskit'
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS = `4'
OS2LIBPATH = `P:\WTSRV\system32\os2\dll;'
OS = `Windows_NT'
OSTYPE = `cygwin32'
PATHEXT = `.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD'
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE = `x86'
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER = `x86 Family 6 Model 1 Stepping 7, GenuineIntel'
PROCESSOR_LEVEL = `6'
PROCESSOR_REVISION = `0107'
PROMPT = `$P$G'
SHELL = `/bin/sh'
SHLVL = `1'
SYSTEMDRIVE = `P:'
SYSTEMROOT = `P:\WTSRV'
TEMP = `P:\TEMP\56'
TERM = `cygwin'
TMP = `P:\TEMP\56'
USERDOMAIN = `ELIS'
USERNAME = `bvassche'
USERPROFILE = `P:\WTSRV\Profiles\bvassche'
WINDIR = `P:\WTSRV'
WINSTATIONNAME = `ICA-tcp#86'
_ = `//q/PROGRA~1/cygnus/CYGWIN~1/H-I586~1/bin/cygcheck.exe'

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\00
  (default) = `P:'
  unix = `/'
  fbinary = 0x00000000
  fsilent = 0x00000000
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin B20
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin B20\B20.1
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\00
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\01
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\02
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\03
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\04
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\05
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\06
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\07
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\08
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\09
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\0A
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\0B
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\0C
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\0D
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\0E
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\0F
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\10
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\11
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\12
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\13
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\14
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\15
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\16
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\17
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\18
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\19
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\1A
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\1B
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\1C
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\1D
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\GNUPro
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\GNUPro\i586-cygwin32
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus
Solutions\GNUPro\i586-cygwin32\i586-cygwin32
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus
Solutions\GNUPro\i586-cygwin32\i586-cygwin32\cygwin-B20.1
  (default) = `q:\program files\cygnus\cygwin-b20'

a:\ fd           N/A    N/A                    
p:\ hd  NTFS    1027Mb  61% CP CS UN PA FC     
q:\ hd  NTFS    3067Mb  42% CP CS UN PA FC     Application Disk 1
r:\ cd           N/A    N/A                    
z:\ net Samba   4063Mb  10% CP    UN           bvassche

P:    /        native  text!=binary

Found: q:\PROGRA~1\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\bash.exe
Found: q:\PROGRA~1\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\cat.exe
Found: Q:\program files\ntreskit\cat.exe
Warning: q:\PROGRA~1\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\cat.exe hides
Q:\program files\ntreskit\cat.exe
Not Found: cpp (good!)
Found: q:\PROGRA~1\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\find.exe
Found: q:\PROGRA~1\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\gcc.exe
Found: q:\PROGRA~1\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\gdb.exe
Found: q:\PROGRA~1\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\ld.exe
Found: q:\PROGRA~1\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\ls.exe
Found: Q:\program files\ntreskit\ls.exe
Warning: q:\PROGRA~1\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\ls.exe hides
Q:\program files\ntreskit\ls.exe
Found: q:\PROGRA~1\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\make.exe
Found: q:\PROGRA~1\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\sh.exe

  371k 1998/12/01 q:\PROGRA~1\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\cygtcl80.dll
- os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygtcl80.dll" v0.0 ts=1998/12/1 9:25
    5k 1998/12/01
q:\PROGRA~1\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\cygtclpip80.dll - os=4.0
img=1.0 sys=4.0
   10k 1998/12/01
q:\PROGRA~1\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\cygtclreg80.dll - os=4.0
img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygtclreg80.dll" v0.0 ts=1998/12/1 9:25
  600k 1998/12/01 q:\PROGRA~1\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\cygtk80.dll -
os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygtk80.dll" v0.0 ts=1998/12/1 9:28
  446k 1998/12/03 q:\PROGRA~1\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\cygwin1.dll -
os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygwin1.dll" v0.0 ts=1998/12/4 5:39
Use -h to see help about each section
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]