Subject: Re: Vanishing mounts
From: Steve Coleman <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 11:30:58 -0400

Hi,

I have been having the "vanishing mounts" problem for some time and had
just learned to live with it since I only rebooted the machine (erasing
the mounts) to load the latest snapshot dll every few weeks. I had just
used a script to do the remounts until now.

After seeing that I was not the only one with this problem I decided to
investigate the problem so that others may have a solution as well. I
found that somehow my registry entry:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2]
was completely empty! I am not sure when or how this happened since I
don't run auditing on my development workstation.

What I did to fix this was to mount all directories the way I like it,
use regedit.exe to export the branch:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2]
to a *.reg file, edited the file to change all occurances of
HKEY_CURRENT_USER to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE then used Windows Explorer
(double click on the *.reg file) to reload the entries. After rebooting
the machine and starting a new shell I found that my entries were indeed
still there.

I hope that this will solve others peoples problems as well.

P.S. - Does anybody know of a automated way to copy the mount points
from current user to local machine in a single command? If not I may
look into it. :)

-- 
Steve Coleman     <[email-masked]>   http://www.jhuapl.edu/
<<--------->> Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory <<---------->>
Balt:443-778-6330 Fax:443-778-5597 Wash:240-228-6330 Fax:240-228-5597

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]