Subject: Re: Distributing packages that use cygwin
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: David Yeh <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 17:07:03 -0400

On Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 01:20:09AM -0700, David Yeh wrote:
>Is it possible to use cygwin to compile an application from source and
>distribute it as a binary without making the users install all of cygwin?
>If so, what are some possible problems?  For example, what if the
>application needed access to the file structure?  (namely, tmp)  Woule the
>application have to be modified and recompiled with no filestrucutre
>dependencies?

It's possible to only release your program and cygwin1.dll as long as
you understand that both your program and cygwin1.dll are distributed
under the GPL, i.e., you must release source code in conformance with
the GNU Public License.

If you are using /tmp then there will have to be a /tmp directory on
the user's system.  It should be no problem to create this directory
in your program if it does not exist.

>Also, is it a good idea to make future cygwin releases include the tmp as
>implicit in the file structure (as dev and proc are) and just link it to
>whatever the TEMP directory under windows is.

/dev is not really an implicit directory.  /proc is not special in any
way.  Cygwin does not do anything special with it.

Personally, I don't think that creating a /tmp directory is either a
difficult or odious task so it is not likely that there will be any
changes to cygwin in this regard.

-Chris Faylor
-Win32 Manager
-Cygnus Solutions

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]