Subject: Re: Distributing cygwin1.dll
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: Simon Crase <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 11:22:26 -0400

On Mon, Aug 30, 1999 at 10:53:18PM +1000, Simon Crase wrote:
>I am developing a tool to generate documentation for JavaScript
>functions, using egcs and flex as my development tools.  I plan to make
>this available as free source under the GPL, assuming anyone else wants
>it.
>
>However, I imagine that the typical HTML developer will not wish to
>download all of Cygwin just to run my tool, so I would like to provide a
>binary distribution also.  I haven't tried this yet, but I imagine that
>my program probably depends on cygwin1.dll only.
>
>Does the GPL really oblige me to make the source to the Cygnus tools
>available on my site - which isn't even up yet :-( - in order for me to
>distribute cygwin1.dll?

Unfortunately, the licensing of the Cygwin DLL does require this.  If you
wait for me to eventually get my act together, B21 will be released with
an override which states that if you release the sources to your program
you don't have to provide the sources for the DLL.

If you want to distribute a program without sources you'll have to contact
Cygnus for licensing terms.

-chris

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]