Subject: Re: New snapshots and old binaries
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: "Charles S. Wilson" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 11:17:56 -0400

On Sun, Aug 29, 1999 at 03:08:20PM -0400, Charles S. Wilson wrote:
>Will I need to recompile ALL of these libraries and executables before
>my system returns to "normal", or what?

If the DLL is named cygwin1.dll it will be backwards compatible.  If the
cygwin DLL does not work with a .exe that uses cygwin1.dll then that's a
bug in the DLL.

The biggest change in using the snapshot will be that the mounts will be
migrated to a new place in the registry but that should be transparent,
too.

I have seen occasional reports from people who indicated that they
supposedly had problems with mount tables after upgrading to a snapshot
but I've never had a clear idea what the problems are.

The other thing that you may notice is that unmounted directories will
be referred to as something like /cygdrive/c/foo rather than //c/foo
although it is still (temporarily) permissable to use //c as a valid
pathname.

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]