Subject: Re: Cygwin NT DDK Project
From: "Emanuele Aliberti" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 19:41:27 CEST

>In short: CygWin is a (_GREAT_) porting tool, with MinGW a very good
>target for "usual" applications. Using it for driver purposes looks to me,
>at this stage, a waste of time; full support for all the available user
>mode APIs would be a much more useful project.

I use the Cygwin's little child: mingw32. Ld can build native applications 
(*) and, since kernel mode drivers are native DLLs, it probably can build 
them too. Unfortunately, as Mumit confirmed prevately, gcc can not handle 
the __fastcall calling convention which is required to call some frequently 
used system calls from kernel mode, so it is not complete yet for a free WNT 
DDK.

(*) You simply need to replace main() with void 
NtProcessStartup(PPROCESS_STARTUP ps); but they are hard to write 
applications, since can link only to ntdll.dll and a few other core DLLs.

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]