Subject: Re: Possibilities for ext2fs
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: Chris Telting <[email-masked]>
Cc: Cygwin Mailing List <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 11:15:44 -0400

On Mon, Aug 23, 1999 at 01:28:14AM -0700, Chris Telting wrote:
>I could do it but there is the issue of the whole mount sybsystem under
>cygwin.  I not fimilular with the implementation of it internally but
>it might be minimal and need to be redesigned.  Coding it is the easy
>part.  Politics and design isn't.

I'm not sure how either politics or design enters into this.

If you can create a filesystem driver for NT then you don't have to make
any modifications to cygwin.  The mount/path code in cygwin is not
*that* complicated.  It's orders of magnitude less complicated than
linux ext2 code.

If you're talking about writing a user-level addition to cygwin which
just "knows" how to access an ext2 file system then I think you're
widely underestimating the amount of time required for a port.

I certainly would be interested in seeing this for Cygwin but it seems
like you have massive amounts of homework ahead of you if you are
serious about this project.

I'm willing to assist by setting up a cygwin-ext2 mailing list and ftp
repository, if that helps.

-chris

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]