Subject: Re: FW: Description of the new 'ntsec' feature
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 00:04:43 -0400

On Wed, Aug 18, 1999 at 09:20:36PM -0400, Suhaib M. Siddiqi wrote:
>> > [...]
>> > It would help to know exactly when these features were added to the
>> > snapshots. I grabbed 990815 since it was the latest, but many programs
>> > (vim, etc.) just core dump with it. (I'm running NT4 SP5.)
>> > [...]
>>
>> It's part of the snapshots since 25-May. If you think that the ntsec
>> feature is the reason for the core dumps you have two choices:
>>
>> - Send me an strace
>> - set CYGWIN=nontsec
>
>In my hands NTSEC had been very annoying.  I get all the time those
>pinfo_proc kill at 1000 blah blah.
>
>I did not understand the philosophy behind NTSEC.  Cygwin is a
>development tool not a multiuser UNIX login system, thus I am not sure
>implementing all the UNIX traditional security features would be
>helpfull for development tools.

The philosophy was that we could get real ownership and real executable
bits and real UNIX permissions.  I also thought it would be nice to have
a multi-user NT system where people couldn't routinely kill each others'
processes.  I asked Corinna for this and she spent a lot of time on it.

I can understand why you don't want to use it.  Just turn if off.  If
you still are having problems then they're probably not due to ntsec.
There's probably a bug in cygwin from something *I've* done.

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]