Subject: perl problems
From: Markus Hoenicka <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 11:58:24 -0500

I'm no perl geek, but I need to run a few perl scripts on my machine. I
first tried Activestate's perl binaries. They work well and the scripts
I need also install and run well - but this perl won't run in a bash,
due to Win/Unix path incompatibilities, as I guess.

Next tried the cygwin perl ports at http://cygutils.netpedia.net/. I
tried both the statically linked and the dynamically linked versions
(binary version 1.4). which perl shows that I pick up the correct binary
(not the Activestate stuff).

When I try to install the modules I need (XML-Parser-2.26, XML-DOM-1.24,
DelimMatch-1.04, dtdparse-2.0a2) with tar -xzf..., perl Makefile.PL,
make, make install, perl tells me that I do not have the permission to
install to perl5/5.00503/cygwin32, although the modules end up
right there. When creating
the makefile for XML-DOM it complains that XML-Parser-2.23 is not
installed. XML-DOM still makes and installs fine except for the same
permission complaint.

Finally, one of the dtdparse scripts runs fine, the other stops with the
following complaint:

Can't load '/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.00503/cygwin32/auto/IO/IO.dll' for
module IO:
 126 at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.00503/cygwin32/DynaLoader.pm line 169.

 at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.00503/cygwin32/IO/Handle.pm line 248
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/cygwin32/XML
/Parser/Expat.pm line 11.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/cygwin32/XML
/Parser.pm line 27.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/XML/DOM.pm l
ine 88.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/user/mhoen/software/dtdparse-2.0a2/dtdform
at.pl line 24.

(This is the output with the dynamically linked version. The statically
linked version gives up much sooner, complaining it can't load
XML-Parser)

Is there any way to get perl up and running with CygWin?
Thanks
Markus

-- 
Markus Hoenicka
UT Houston Medical School
Dept. of Integrative Biology and Pharmacology
6431 Fannin MSB4.114
Houston, TX 77030
(713) 500-6313, -7476, -7477
(713) 500-7444 (fax)
[email-masked]
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/hoenicka_markus/

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]