Subject: Re: Make quoted strings problem running from cmd.exe...
From: Tadeusz Liszka <[email-masked]>
To: Kevin Hill <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 21:40:49 -0500

Kevin Hill wrote:
> 
> Dear reader,
> 
> I have Cygwin b20.1 (including make version 3.75) and NT4.0 sp4. I am
> trying to use make from within the normal cmd.exe of NT, rather than
> from within any of the cygwin shells. The problem I have ONLY happens
> when I run from cmd.exe; it works find from within sh.
.......

Don't blame it on make - it is cmd.exe doing. Once shell parses the
inputline, make does what it can. cmd.exe is too stupid to properly
interpret quotes "" like true shell. Write small code and test VC++ and
Cygwin gcc and see what actually is processed by cmd/shell and what
comes to your code. I suspect that cmd passes quotes, and nmake
compensates for it. It is consistent with DOS/NT/Win32 philosophy where
each program is responsible for interpreting *.*, and cmd.exe simply
passes them down.
 
-- 
Tadeusz
:: The public opinion should be alarmed by its own nonexistence
:: (512)467-0618 ext. 526 ::       Stanislaw J. Lec, trans. TJL

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]