Subject: Re: post b20.1: How to disable umask and access UNC path
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 13:13:24 -0400

On Mon, Aug 16, 1999 at 08:22:17AM -0400, [email-masked] wrote:
>> [email-masked] wrote:
>> > [...]
>> > And in any case does the fact that new code does not work accross network should be considered as a bug?
>> > I.e. if I make a new file of a different computer it
>> > should be created under the ownership of the account under which I connected to that computer and not the account under which I logged in locally.
>> 
>> This is a illegal implication. You have accessed the other computer via
>> smb. This has NOTHING to do with NT security. The correct behaviour is
>> to use the SID under which you are logged into the NT network and in
>> your example it's the SID of your local login. The resulting `Unknown'
>> account on the other computer is a logical consequence because it has
>> no access to your local SAM. Moreover, what you do is possible but not
>> correct in a NT domain. You should login as domain user when you work
>> in a domain. If you use your local login you are mixing two worlds and
>> you have to live with the results.
>
>But under NT4 you can always type 
>net use x: \\ip-address\share password /user:user-name
>
>then you will be logged to ip-address computer regardless of your
>domain membership under account you specify.  Then when you create
>files on "x:" via win32 calls those files by default will be owned by
>account under which you logged to ip-address, not under you local
>account.  This IMHO should be the way ntsec support is implemented in
>CYGWIN.

If I'm understanding what you're saying correctly, then you've just
outlined the solution to the problem -- use "net use" to allocate the
remote share to a logical drive.  Doesn't cygwin work correctly in
that context?

-chris

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]