Subject: Re: Accessing serial port.
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: "Suhaib M. Siddiqi" <[email-masked]>
Cc: Hans - Dulimarta <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 15:10:17 -0400

On Thu, Aug 05, 1999 at 01:18:26PM -0400, Suhaib M. Siddiqi wrote:
>
>
>>
>>
>> I am porting my C codes from DJGPP to Cygwin. One of the modules has
>> several lines which read and write to COM1. I rewrite the code using
>> open ("/dev/com1"), read (....), write (....), etc. However, the code
>> seems to hang. The exact same code works fine under Linux by replacing
>> "/dev/com1" to "/dev/ttyS0".
>>
>
>This requires accessing the hardware through a proper device driver on
>Windows.  It is not that easy to change /dev/xxx to someting.  Check
>http://www.microsoft.com/hwdrv/ddk for info about devices.  If it would
>have been so easy I would have finished Xfree86 port a long time ago
>;-)

Um.  No.  I don't know why you think that this requires a device driver.
You should be able to access /dev/com1 using normal open/close/read/write
semantics.

However, there were serial problems in B20.1 that should be fixed in
current snapshots: http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/snapshots/

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]