Subject: Returning modified code to the Cygwin Community
From: "Robert O. Morris" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Robert Morris" <[email-masked]>, "Distributed Oceanographic Data Server" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 16:15:40 -0700

I recently ported a rather large project to Cygwin and I
had to modify a couple of Cygwin-related projects to get
things to work for me.

I thought that if I sent email to the group, this would
start the process of getting some of this back into Cygwin -
and make our lives easier here (JPL and the DODS Group) and
elsewhere in the long run by having this (possibly) incorporated
back into the original distributions for this stuff.

. . . in the spirit of the open source movement . . . sharing . . .

These include the following for Cygwin 20.1B:

1)  RPC Library for Cygwin 20.1B, starting with Corinna's stuff mentioned
    on the Cygwin Home Page.

    binaries: http://dods.jpl.nasa.gov/WinPort/binaries/rpclib.bin.tar.gz
    source  : http://dods.jpl.nasa.gov/WinPort/binaries/rpc-4.0.src.tar.gz

    Description:  Rather extensive modification (mostly) to allow them to
                  to compile and link from either C or C++.  Things needed
                  reorganized quite a bit.  I'm not sure how much of this
                  got exercised in our port project - but whatever did,
works.

2)  Hdf4.1r2 for Cygwin 20.1B

    binaries: http://dods.jpl.nasa.gov/WinPort/binaries/hdf.bin.tar.gz
    Source  : http://dods.jpl.nasa.gov/WinPort/binaries/hdf.src.tar.gz

    I simply got the source code and applied a patch from a guy at Goddard
    that (at some point) had made it for B19.  I can't remember making any
    other mods to this except general clean-up. It was originally from
    ftp://niteroi.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/win32/ncsa/.

3)  IPC Library and tools for Cygwin 20.1B.

    http://dods.jpl.nasa.gov/WinPort/binaries/cygwinB20IPC.tar.gz.  This
    originally came from http://www.multione.capgemini.fr/tools/pack_ipc/
    and (if memory serves) mods were just general clean-up.

I'd like to see some of this moved out of dods.jpl.nasa.gov and put under
control elsewhere if possible.

Someone in the know . . . . please advise.

Rob Morris
Jet Propulsion Laboratory

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]