Subject: Re: Copyright restrictions on cygwin
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: Geoff Appleby <[email-masked]>
Cc: cygwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 15:53:36 -0400

On Sun, Jul 18, 1999 at 05:02:15PM +1000, Geoff Appleby wrote:
>Now, if this application is sold to a client, what exactly must i
>provide along with the cygwin1.dll?  By this, i mean as far as the
>licensing goes - is an acknowledgement enough, a copy of the cygwin
>license statement, what?

You need to be willing to supply your client with the source code for
your program under the terms of the GPL.  You also need to be willing to
supply the source code for the cygwin DLL that you are distributing.
You will have to make sure that you always have the source code on hand
for the exact version of the program that you've supplied to your
customer and for the exact version of cygwin that you supplied.

The reason for all of this is that the cygwin DLL is GPLed.  When you
link the cygwin stub library into your application it also becomes
GPLed.

You may not use the cygwin DLL in a proprietary program without express
written permission from Cygnus.  A proprietary program is a program
for which the sources are not distributed under the GPL.  In the next
release of Cygwin (scheduled no later than 6/27/2004) we will allow you
to distribute any "open source" program with the cygwin DLL without
requiring that the sources for the DLL also be made available.

We *will not*, however allow distribution of cygwin with programs for
which the source is not made available.

If you have further questions you should send email to [email-masked].

-chris

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]