Subject: [ANN] gcc-2.95 dev snapshot updated to 1999-07-15
From: Tor Lillqvist <[email-masked]>
To: Mumit Khan <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 08:55:48 +0300 (FLE Daylight Time)

Mumit Khan writes:
 >   - bitfield packing. I've applied Donn Terry's patch, but it's not
 >     the default. If you want to layout bitfields exactly as MSVC
 >     does, compile with -fnative-struct flag.

Great! I got bitten by the binary incompatibility in some structs with
bitfields some week ago in my work on porting GTk+ (and the GIMP) to
Windows. I then decided to build differently named DLLs with gcc and
MSVC. This caused some code ugliness when gtk or GIMP wants to load
modules (DLLs) dynamically, it has to check if the module name
contains the correct compiler name, etc. But, with this feature, I
don't have to include the compiler name in the DLL names any longer,
and can use gcc-compiled DLLs from MSVC-compiled code, and vice
versa. I hope.

--tml

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]