Subject: Re: rlogin, rsh, and cvs server
From: Tadeusz Liszka <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 11:26:29 -0500

Hello,

We have machine gate.bubba.com, which is on both sides, i.e. can be seen
using ssh from the outside, and there is ssh hole openend in the
firewall to the cvs server cvs.bubba.com (both are Unix machines)

On the client machine (which happens to be NT workstation -
unfortunately - but the setup works for Unix as well):

In separate window:
ssh -L 2401:cvs.bubba.com:2401 gate.bubba.com
i.e: login to gate, create ssh protected tunnel for port 2401 from local
host to cvs server. This window is to be left open for the whole session
(but can be used actually to work on gate or ssh further to the world if
needed, just do not logout from gate). Use whatever other setup for ssh
you feel appropriate (we disabled Xwindows forwarding for extra
security). This was the only way to go around the firewall, which
requires always two hops, and here the tunnel is created in one hop.

then in the work window
setenv CVSROOT :pserver:mylogin@localhost:/x/cvsrepository
cvs login
>>>>>> asks for the cvs password
cvs -z9 -q co list-of-modules
.....
cvs logout

We actually use WinCVS (which is independent of CYGWIN) or sometimes cvs
from CYGWIN, our make structure is based on GNU-make and CYGWIN (so Unix
and NT work is almost identical), but the code compiles with VC++/Visual
Fortran, so the product is not restricted by the GNU licencing.

Thanks CYGWIN group for the great product.

-- 
Tadeusz
:: The public opinion should be alarmed by its own nonexistence
:: (512)467-0618 ext. 526 ::       Stanislaw J. Lec, trans. TJL

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]