Subject: Re: Windows TRACE message
From: "Lars Gregersen" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 08:57:14 -0100

To:             	[email-masked]
Copies to:      	[email-masked]
Subject:        	Re: Windows TRACE message 
Date sent:      	Fri, 09 Jul 1999 01:47:41 -0500
From:           	Mumit Khan <[email-masked]>

> "Lars Gregersen" <[email-masked]> writes:
> > 
> > I prefer to use the API function OutputDebugString. It isn't as 
> > powerful as the printf type of commands, but it sends a string to a
> > seperate debug window. This also has the great effect that I'f you're
> > testing multiple programmes at the same time you get the output in order
> > in the same window. It works for GUI and console programmes.
> > 
> > You can get a debug string viewer (for free) at www.sysinternals.com
 
> Thanks for the very useful pointer.
> 
> I tend to use a debugging stream (most of my code is C++) that has
> a subclass for win32 that opens a scrolled window and just dumps

This looks very much like the OutputDebugString method. Of course the 
sysinternals prorgamme has things such as time, filters, remote 
debugging that sometimes comes in handy.

I also use this for Matlab programming where I can check out my (very 
simple) socket pramming when communicating between Matlab and C++ 
programmes.

In any event, all the tools as sysinternals.com are top quality and 
very useful - and they're free. The only programme of theirs I 
haven't tested is their Blue Screen of Death Screensaver ;-)

> everything there. Very simple, and you can use iostream style
> formatting.

This I really miss for the OutputDebugString method!

> One of these days I'll clean up the copyright and release it. it's 
> part of a commercial package, but since I own it, I can probably
> convince our commercial arm to make it freely available.

Like the rest of the things you're providing us with I will be 
looking very much forward to this.

  Regards

    Lars

--------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Lars Gregersen                         Telephone no.: +45 45 25 28 08
Technical University of Denmark        Fax no.      : +45 45 88 22 58
Department of Chemical Engineering     E-mail       : [email-masked]
Bygning 229
DK-2800 Lyngby
Denmark
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Homepage: http://www.gbar.dtu.dk/~matlg/

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]