Subject: Re: A few different questions. Long.
From: "Dr. Volker Zell" <[email-masked]>
To: Geoff Appleby <[email-masked]>
Cc: Cygnus <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Jul 1999 19:31:11 +0200

>>>>> "Geoff" == Geoff Appleby <[email-masked]> writes:

    Geoff> Has anyone found a way to compile apache?

Check http://www.student.uni-koeln.de/cygwin/

    Geoff> I downloaded and installed inetd from the remote.tar.gz
    Geoff> that I found on http://www.lexa.ru/sos/ Most appear to
    Geoff> work, but when you telnet to the machine, altho it runs
    Geoff> bash like i want, it doesn't read the .bashrc or .profile -
    Geoff> any tips?

Make sure you have your HOME env variabale set, so that inetd picks
it up.

    Geoff> When telnetting to my machine, it appears to authenticate
    Geoff> passwords against the PDC.  When ftp'ing, it doesn't.  I
    Geoff> have noticed that the passwd file generated my mkpasswd
    Geoff> doesn't contain passwords - should i install proper
    Geoff> password checking?

ftpd is not ported to support the PDC.

Get 

  libcrypt-1.3 - ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/libcrypt.tgz

and compile it. There will be a crypt.exe.
Now call crypt like this:

  crypt <salt> <password>

where salt is an arbitrary string and password is the password you wish to use
with ftpd. This will give you an encrypted password. Here an example:

vzell:/tmp> crypt ksdkslkdsldkiow3sjhfjhkfjhsdf mypassword
$1$ksdkslkd$tQ7S08xZbIXs6grxtWOlZ.

Now copy the encrypted password in your /etc/passwd so that it looks like:

vzell:$1$ksdkslkd$tQ7S08xZbIXs6grxtWOlZ.:544:513:Volker Zell:/users/vzell:/bin/bash

From now on ftpd will use mypassword for authentication.

Ciao
  Volker

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]