Subject: Re: rxvt interacts badly with bash line editing
From: Randall Schulz <[email-masked]>
To: Gary Bishop <[email-masked]>, Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 11:12:36 -0700

Hi,

If the PS1 setting you gave is exactly what you were using, then it looks
like you might be confusing BASH (or more precisely, the line editing
subsystem) by not bracketing non-printing sections of the prompt with \[
... \] pairs. It appears you are missing a \[ before the first escape.
Thus, the line editing library considers the "[34m" portion as printing and
whose space needs to be accounted.

Before I noticed the \[ ... \] business, I had similar problems and it
didn't matter what terminal emulator I used (and I use several, on a
routine basis).

I hope this helps.

Randy Schulz
Teknowledge Corp.
Palo Alto, CA USA

At 08:14 AM 7/2/99 , Gary Bishop wrote:
>Wait! I take it back. Chris was right, in a way....
>
>If I set the TERM=xterm   AND   get rid of the fancy prompt export 
>PS1="\e[34m\]\w\[\e[0m\]> " then it works.
>
>This would be fine but now my other programs (like less) don't work because 
>they complain
>
>WARNING: terminal is not fully functional
>
>What do I have to do to make TERM=xterm work with less and others? Even the 
>/etc/termcap that comes with the X11R6 package does not appear to include 
>xterm.
>
>Thanks for the helpful suggestions.
>gb

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]