Subject: stdin, stderr -> Proper initialization for Cygwin dll run from non-cygwin apps (my case->matlab)
From: "Robert O. Morris" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Distributed Oceanographic Data Server" <[email-masked]>, "Robert Morris" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 17:40:12 -0700

Hi Cygwin Group !

  I've had problems lately getting a cygwin dll to run from
a non-cygwin application (matlab).  With help from this group,
I have that code executing . . . . however, I can tell that
things are not initialized quite correctly as yet.

  I can't use stdout, stderr in that dll code.  fprintf(stderr, . . . )
bombs matlab for example.

 I can see from the discussions in the group that I need to initialize
_reent defined in <sys/reent.h> correctly.  There might be other
dll initialization issues lurking also . . . but . . . one at a time.
I see a lot of mentions in the cygwin-developers mailing list, but
that is either not at my level - or it is not intended for people
that just write/port applications that use cygwin.

  Is there any documentation or pointers on how I should initialize that ?
I havn't been able to reference anything that gets me to the point where
stdin, stdout, etc. work as they normally do.

---- side point ----
  I'm also wondering if these dll initialization issues have anything to
do with thesed fr failure (on win98) of access() and popen() uom within
this cygwin dll run from matlab.  hmmmm . . . .  Access() when testing
for execute permission should always return true on win98 I would think.
Instead, it bombs matlab.
---- end side point ----

Any pointers appreciated . . . .

and thanks !

Rob Morris
Jet Propulsion Laboratory

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]