Subject: RE: A new user of cygwin and unix based system
From: "McCunney, Dennis" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Chris Faylor'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 11:38:21 -0400

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Chris Faylor [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Saturday, June 26, 1999 9:36 PM
> To: Jons
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: A new user of cygwin and unix based system
> 
> If you are a new user, you'll probably have a lot of questions.  So, in
> the interest of teaching you to fish rather than giving you a fish.  I
> would suggest that the best way to get your questions answered is to
> start with the project's web page: 
> http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin .
> There, you will find pointers to ported software, a FAQ, and pointers to
> the mailing list archives where, I am sure you can imagine, most
> beginner questions have already been endlessly rehashed.
> 
> Chris Faylor
> Cygwin Program Manager

If I might make a couple of suggestions:

First, you might wish to post a mini-FAQ here on a regular basis.  It
doesn't have to be long and detailed: just a statement of the nature and
purpose of the mailing list, names and email addresses of "official" folks
like yourself with notes about your roles, and pointers to the appropriate
FAQs and other resources.

I got the impression from reading your posts here that you were officially
involved with Cygwin, for instance, but this is the first post of yours
signed with your title that I recall seeing.

As the Cygwin tools grow in usage, you'll see more new folks popping up
asking beginner questions who for whatever reason don't already know about
the FAQ.  

(I found out about this mailing list from a FAQ included with a cygwin
distribution, but the address given for subscribing to the list was _wrong_,
and bounced with an "unknown recipient" error.  I got pointed in the right
direction by a chap on the NTEmacs mailing list.)

Second, please consider adding either a stand-alone info reader or a groff
port to the distribution.  I  understand your desire to reserve your
energies for the more important parts of your effort, but since your
documentation is distributed in nroff and info format, it isn't clear how
someone who doesn't have emacs, an info reader, or groff installed is
supposed to _read_ it. (I installed NTEmacs and added your info files to the
Emacs info tree.  I'm still SOL on the man pages - my Unix systems at the
office don't have nroff installed, and booting to Linux at home to use groff
is something I haven't had time to do.)

Thanks for excellent tools and a worthy effort.

_______________
Dennis McCunney

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]