Subject: Re: Can CMD be tweaked to emulate background processes? OFF TOPIC?
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: "Campi, Nathan P." <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 14:08:40 -0400

Unless I 'm missing something this post has nothing to do with cygwin.
This is not the appropriate forum for this question.  I'd suggest going
to one of the many many Usenet newsgroups devoted to Windows for
guidance.

cgf

On Fri, Jun 25, 1999 at 04:42:54PM -0400, Campi, Nathan P. wrote:
>I need help making a background process under the native NT shell,
>CMD.EXE
>
>I love how my FreeBSD box mails me security info each and every night. I
>decided to make a similar security script for NT, and to try and make it
>available to as many people as possible, I thought about using CMD
>instead of bash.
>The only reason is that some of my Navy security friends like to be
>minimalists. They use as little extra software as possible, so if I
>don't have to tell them to use a new shell (bash), so much the better.
>
>The problem is with a scan detection method I wanted to experiment with.
>I want to launch multiple netcat processes listening on different ports,
>ready to execute a "net send" to the security admin when connected to,
>but cmd doesn't support background processes the way bash does.
>I could use the start command, but it will launch another window, and I
>don't need 5 or 10 CMD windows sitting on my desktop!
>
>BTW, so far I have the basic script doing the following:
>1. outputting the last 10 successful and unsuccessful logons
>(ntobjectives' ntlast)
>2. checking for added/deleted user accounts (outputs "net name" to text
>file and compares old one to new one, backup in case event log is
>cleared)
>3. checking passwords against a wordlist to ensure password strength
>(command line version of l0phtcrack)
>4. outputs hidden files made since the last time the script was run
>(forensic toolkit's hfind)
>5. gives info on NTFS partitions (sysinternals ntfsinfo utility)
>6. event log dump to search for specific events (dumpevt and grep the
>file)
>7. defrags the hard drive (sysinternals' contig util)
>
>If people want to play with it, let me know and I'll post it to my
>website for download... it certainly needs work :)
>I really haven't done anything that others here can't reproduce in
>minutes with the info I gave.
>
>If anyone has any way to smoothly make an equivalent to a background
>process using cmd please let me know.

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]