Subject: reported vs actual file sizes
From: [email-masked] (Paul Lai)
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 10:47:57 -0700

After installing cygwinb20.1 on a few machines, there's been some troubling
observations made.  Hopefully someone on this mailing list can answer the
questions.

There are 3 machines: NT 4.0 SP3, NT 4.0 SP4, and Win98.
The NT 4.0 SP4 and Win98 "Windows Explorer" provides file size information in
the "usual" way, and in a new way, which I'll called "used"; To get to the
file size info, select a file and use File|Properties.  

An example info box could contain something like:

        cut.exe
        Size:	24.0KB (24,576 bytes), 32,768 bytes used
                ^^^^^^^^^usual^^^^^^^  ^^^^^^used^^^^^^^

An "ls -l cut.exe" reports the "usual" size.

On NT SP4 with a FAT (32??) filesystem, all the cygwin-b20.1 binaries,
...\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin\bin\*.exe, have "used" file sizes that are
multiples of 32,768 bytes.  This seems very unreasonable, especially in the
case of:

        true.exe
        Size:	395 bytes (395 bytes), 32,768 bytes used
                ^^^^^^^^^usual^^^^^^^  ^^^^^^used^^^^^^^

On Win98 with FAT32 filesystem, the "used" sizes seem to be multiples of
4096bytes.

The Windows binaries, explorer.exe, doesn't seem to have this problem.

So, the question is:
Is this a problem w/ my configuration of Window98/NT or is there
something wrong with the file/io stuff within cygwinb20.1?

-Paul

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]