Subject: Electric Fence for Cygwin
From: Glenn Spell <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 13:24:56 -0400

(Subject changed from "Re: Something is rotten in recent snapshots".)

On 25 Jun 1999 at 10:16AM (+0200) Laurent CHARLES wrote:

> [email-masked] wrote:
>
> > On 16 Jun 1999 at 2:50PM (-0400) Chris Faylor wrote:
> >
> > > I don't suppose that Electric Fence has been ported to cygwin?
> >
> > <http://www.fay.nc.us/~glenn/cygwin/efence-cyg-2.2.2.tar.gz>
> >
> > Please let me know if it compiles and operates properly.
>
> I tried it and got some problems.
>
> First, it compiles perfectly. Well, I didn't notice any problem,
> and installed it with my /usr/local stuff (with the cygwin
> packages). I ran 'make all install prefix=/usr/local' from
> efence/cygwin directory.

Thanks.

> I have a simple hello-world with a single 'char*
> p=(char*)malloc(10);' line.  I compile it with 'gcc hello.c -o
> hello.exe -lefence'.
>
> It crashes with a 'instruction references memory at "0x00000000"'
> error.  A simple debug session with gdb shows that it crashes at
> '0x61006cd2 in _size_of_stack_reserve__()', before main.

I don't understand any of this. I'm not a programmer. I know that the
memory location is related to cygwin. I know that all references I
can find on the net to "_size_of_stack_reserve__()" relate to cygwin
or mingw (and Mumit reads them all!) or some articles on memory
management at Microsoft.

> Did you experience the same problem?

Actually, I haven't used it... I don't know how. I'm hoping my
legwork will help others who do know how to use it. Also, I don't
know if by "problem" you refer to the debugging information or the
crash.

Should efence be compiled with "-ggdb -gstabs" instead of "-g"?

Thanks for any help.

-glenn

-- 
 )      Glenn Spell <[email-masked]>      )   _       _____
 )   Fayetteville, North Carolina, U. S. A.   )_ (__\____o /_/_ |
 )  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  )   >-----._/_/__]>
 )- blue skies - happy trails - sweet dreams -)             `0  |

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]