Subject: Bug in B20.1 make with mixed case environment variables
From: Don Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 12:14:08 -0500

B20.1 uses GNU make 3.75 which seems to have a bug or mis-feature
where (DOS) environment variable names are converted to upper case
when made into makefile variables.  (I believe that GNU make 3.77
fixes this problem, so upgrading may be all that's necessary. 
Unfortunately, I don't know the exact lineage of the make 3.77
that I have.)

From a DOS shell, set an environment variable with lower case
letters:

set foo=hello

Then run make on the following makefile:

all:
	echo $(foo)

The echo is empty, unless the makefile variable is changed
to all upper case, where "hello" is printed.  This problem
does not seem to occur if the environment variable is set
in bash.  (Bash, however has all of the DOS environement
variables converted to upper case.)

Thanks for looking into this problem.

------------------------------------------------------------
Don Baker, Member of the Technical Staff
MCC, 3500 West Balcones Center Dr., Austin, Texas 78759-6509
[email-masked] * Phone: (512) 338-3362 * Fax: (512) 338-3890

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]