Subject: Re: /bin/mail anyone?
From: Glenn Spell <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 08:34:02 -0400

On 18 Jun 1999 at 3:38PM (-0700) [email-masked] wrote:

> I am looking for a minimalistic user mail agent that will just
> impersonate sendmail for Emacs and the like, ie. just read a
> message on stdin and relay it to a real SMTP listener.

Wayne Buttles distributes a copy of the old freeware version of Nigel
Ellis' "sendmail/NT" stub with the Win32 port of Lynx.  It can use
either XMAPI(allow edit before send)/MAPI or SMTP as transport. I
don't believe it accepts STDIN. Executable is about 38KB.

    <http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/lynxport.htm>

An updated shareware version that does accept STDIN is available
from Nigel's site as "Border Collie Ware". Unregistered versions are
limited to two recipients, one attachment and a message body size of
4K. Executable is about 132KB.

    <http://www.green-bean.com/bcware/>

"Blat" is a public domain utility with some nice features. It's
probably the most popular of all the ones in this list. There are
several different versions available from different authors.  The
version 1.8.4 executable from Tim Charron is about 30KB.

    <http://www.interlog.com/~tcharron/blat.html>

Stalkerlab's Mailers Kit contains a "mail.exe" that has a command
line syntax similar to BSD UNIX. It can do pipes or redirections.
The "mail.exe" executable is about 48KB. Be sure to download the
"hotfix" for "mail.exe" (see their FAQ). This is freeware.

    <http://www.stalkerlab.ch/SMailers/>

> I also toyed with the idea of getting regular sendmail to build,
> but the sendmail distribution contains a file aux.m4 :-(

There's an old NT-only port of sendmail at Microsoft. Since I don't
run NT, I don't know anything about this port.

    <ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/developr/drg/unix-to-windows/>

-glenn

-- 
 )      Glenn Spell <[email-masked]>      )   _       _____
 )   Fayetteville, North Carolina, U. S. A.   )_ (__\____o /_/_ |
 )  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  )   >-----._/_/__]>
 )- blue skies - happy trails - sweet dreams -)             `0  |

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]