Subject: Re: file-system layout in b20.2+ [Re: yikes, what are these?]
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: Mumit Khan <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 16:06:23 -0400

On Thu, Jun 17, 1999 at 02:38:40PM -0500, Mumit Khan wrote:
>[email-masked] writes:
>> 
>> What I'm trying to say, is that, with the possible exception of bison
>> (which will be fixed in the next release) nothing should be relying
>> on builtin path names using the funky H-*/i-* subdirectory structure.
>> Feel free to move things into more UNIX-friendly locations.
>> 
>> In fact, that's what we'll be doing in the next release.
>> 
>
>Chris,
>
>Thanks for the good news. It's never too late to do the right thing ;-)
>
>What I would like to see is that Cygwin installs to a virtual root that
>can be anywhere on the physical disk.
>
>I really don't want c:/usr etc on my disk, but would rather have the
>choice to do the following: install Cygwin b20.2+ to /cygwin/cygwin-b20.2
>and the installer set that to be '/'. If I want to switch to 20.1, I
>can simply change the key (via env var or registry, whichever works), 
>and (and perhaps reboot or kill all running Cygwin apps) and go.

That's what I'm planning on doing.  You choose the root and everything
installs under there.

Of course, I first have a memory corruption problem to solve before I
can even think about this.  And, DJ is busy with other interesting stuff...

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]