Subject: RE: "sed" bug?
From: "Eddelbuettel, Dirk" <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>, "D. Richard Hipp" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 08:59:52 -0400

> I don't understand.  "sh" is "bash" on both Linux and
		> Cygwin20, is it not?  I'm not running csh if that is
		> what you are asking.
		> 

		No!!  On both systems sh is _NOT_ bash.  sh is ash which was
written
		specifically for Linux to be a lightweight shell in order to
increase
		processing speed.

I think that statement is wrong as far as Linux is concerned.  AFAIK most
Linux distrinutions still default to l/bin/sh (soft-)linked to /bin/bash.  

Speaking for Debian, we have tried to purge all bashism from the boot
scripts, and a few developers have /bin/sh linked to /bin/ash.  They appear
to be happy with the speedups at boot time.  I'm lazy and stick with bash.
After all, I don't reboot that often :-> 

Also, I just checked with my Debian source cd - according to the file TOUR,
dated 1989, ash is older than Linux. The sources stem from the NetBSD side
of things. 

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]