Subject: Re: Gnu license (PLEASE redirect to gnu.misc.discuss)
From: [email-masked]
To: Fergus Henderson <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 11:25:03 -0400

On Fri, Jun 11, 1999 at 09:53:16PM +1000, Fergus Henderson wrote:
>On 11-Jun-1999, [email-masked] <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> I hate to start this thread again, especially as it is off topic, but I am a
>> little concerned about a possible fiddle to software released under the gnu
>> license which removes the advantage of it.
>
>This is definitely off-topic.  Please take this discussion
>to the newsgroup gnu.misc.discuss.

Absolutely.

Also, let me point out that cygwin licensing has changed.  Here is the
CYGWIN_LICENSE file from recent snapshots.

If there are any questions about the cygwin license please follow the
instructions in the text below.  Don't send them to me or DJ.  We don't
control licensing policy.

-chris

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL) as published by
the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at
your option) any later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

			*** NOTE ***

In accordance with section 10 of the GPL, Cygnus permits programs whose
sources are distributed under a license that complies with the Open
Source(tm) definition to be linked with libcygwin.a without libcygwin.a
itself causing the resulting program to be covered by the GNU GPL.

This means that you can port an Open Source(tm) application to cygwin,
and distribute that executable as if it didn't include a copy of
libcygwin.a linked into it.  Note that this does not apply to the cygwin
DLL itself.  If you distribute a (possibly modified) version of the DLL
you must adhere to the terms of the GPL, i.e., you must provide sources
for the cygwin DLL.

See http://www.opensource.org/osd.html for the precise Open Source
Definition referenced above.

If you have questions about any of the above or would like to arrange
for other licensing terms, please contact Cygnus using the information
given below:

     Cygnus Solutions
     1325 Chesapeake Terrace
     Sunnyvale, CA 94089
     USA

     +1 408 542 9600
     hotline: +1 408 542 9601
     email: [email-masked]'
     fax: +1 408 542 9699

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]