Subject: Re: Problem with make
From: Phil Edwards <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 15:25:17 -0400

> Anyhow, Turns out that in the directory where jikes.exe is, he had a
> directory named jikes also - make was trying to execute it, but bash wasn't.

Bash knows better, is all.  It seems to add ".exe" to program calls just
fine.  Make isn't aware that it's running under Lose32, so when it looks
for "jikes" that's what it finds.

> So obviously, this is a bug in make - it must be looking for a program named
> jikes before jikes.exe - I guess.  Either that, or it's not checking to make
> sure it's a directory when it checks.  

It's both of those.  The first is not really a bug per se (I bet that if your
makefile called jikes.exe instead, both you and your coworker would be okay).
The second should probably be tweaked, although that would usually just be
unnecessary overhead.

I am not knowledgeble about the ways of Cygwin.  Perhaps there is a better
way when building GNU make to change that behavior.  I have "solved" a
number of GNU make problems by just running it inside bash.exe than from
cmd.exe directly.

phil

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]