Subject: Re: 'find' case insensitive filenames
From: Glenn Spell <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 01:03:34 -0400

On Jun 04 1999 about 10:49AM +0800, Yu-Jui Lee wrote:

> This may be a stray topic. But in a Win32 environment, the
> convention with file names is case insensitive.

... and case preserving.

> While the 'find' command in cygwin b20.1 is case sensitive.

Cygwin B20.1 'find' is GNU 'find' version 4.1. The manual is
available at <http://www.gnu.org/manual/findutils-4.1/find.html>.

GNU 'find' has both case-sensitive and case-insensitive versions of
the following tests for patterns: -name/-iname -path/-ipath
-regex/-iregex.

> For example, if I want to find a case-insensitive "foo.bar", I
> need to type "find . -name "[Ff][Oo][Oo][Bb][Aa][Rr]". Is there a
> convenient way to do this?

find . -iname "foo*" | grep -i bar

-glenn

-- 
 )      Glenn Spell <[email-masked]>      )   _       _____
 )   Fayetteville, North Carolina, C. S. A.   )_ (__\____o /_/_ |
 )  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  )   >-----._/_/__]>
 )- blue skies - happy trails - sweet dreams -)             `0  |

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]