Subject: Re: PowerPC and GCC!!
From: Brendan Simon <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 23:09:37 +0000

The cywin GCC is compiled to generate Intel 386,486... code ONLY.  To generate
code for the powerpc you must use a cross-compiler.  There are a number of
ways to obtain a gcc cross-compiler.

1) build one yourself from the gcc/egcs sources (not recommended for newbies
unless this is what you really want to do).

2) obtain some precompiled binaries.  I would recommend the Oject Software
site (http://www.objsw.com).  It has precompiled binaries (including
libraries) of gcc that target m68k, powerpc, and sh-1.  These run on DOS and
Windows platforms.  Get the powerpc downloads and the -mpowerpc option will
then be recognised.  The web site has the CrossGCC FAQ and details on how to
join the CrossGCC mailing list.

Brendan Simon.

David Kirtley wrote:

> I am relatively new at this and am trying to compile a simple program for
> my target PowerPC 604.  Ime using the Win32 Cygwin GCC and stuff, but I
> have no idea how to compile for the 604.  When I try the "-mpowerpc'  I get
> "Invalid Option:  powerpc".  "-mcpu=604" yields "cc1.exe: bad value (604)
> for -mcpu= switch".  Do I need additional libraries to compile to my 604?
>  libgcc.a?  I bet this is a relatively simple question, but any and all
> advice or locations where I could get advice would be extremely helpful.
> Thank you very much.
>
> David Kirtley
>
> --
> Want to unsubscribe from this list?
> Send a message to [email-masked]

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]