Subject: Re: various 'cywin1.dll' tested with PERL's 'Configure' script.
From: Glenn Spell <[email-masked]>
To: cygwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 13:19:59 -0400

The following may not be of any help for the perl configure problem.
I'm writing only about the ash heredoc problem.

On Jun 03 1999 at 07:21AM +0000, Samy Alex ZAIMI wrote:

> Since I received no answers, I had to dig a bit. I found out that
> one of the problems is related to the way (a)sh.exe handles so
> called 'here documents'.  The version of 'sh.exe' I have is dated
> [...] May be it is too old, is there a new ash arround ?

The ash distributed with Cygwin is from Debian Linux with some local
changes by Cygnus. Last year I looked around but did not find a
better alternative. I incorporated some Debian patches while working
on the infamous "Win95 'make' bug" but it didn't seem to help.

> Lately, Glenn Spell posted (1999/05/03/13:02:39, Heredocs with ash
> on Win95) that such problems disappeared when he used the 19990502
> cygwin1.dll.  Well, he didn't receive many answers either (or he
> did but it was privately).

I received no response. Later, I found that the ash heredoc problem
was corrected in the 990325 cygwin1.dll, probably in the changes made
by Chris documented in Changelog on "Mar 24, 1999". (There's also a
reference to Win95/98 in Changelog on "Mar 21, 1999".)

> By the way, I tried also the snapshot from 19990601, but my shell
> blew up [...]

From 990325, I have to get up to 990524 to find a stable DLL. The
990530 also seems to work OK. I haven't tried anything more recent.

> Anyway, I would appreciate very much if someone explains me what I
> am missing here.

You seem to be on top of the situation :-) Unfortunately, the
snapshots are not intended as "bug fixes" for older versions.

I'd like to extract whatever changes were made that fixed the
heredoc problem and apply them to the latest B20.1 snapshot
as I did DJ's fix for the infamous "Win95 'make' problem"
(<http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32/1999-Jan/0484.html>), but
I haven't had time. These things are very time consuming for a
non-programmer like myself.

> May be it is a good opportunity to recapitulate everything about
> versions of (a)sh.exe, use of (no)tty, versions of cygwin1.dll ...
> (if possible within the frame of W95).

That would certainly be a good project for someone.

-glenn

-- 
 )      Glenn Spell <[email-masked]>      )   _       _____
 )   Fayetteville, North Carolina, U. S. A.   )_ (__\____o /_/_ |
 )  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  )   >-----._/_/__]>
 )- blue skies - happy trails - sweet dreams -)             `0  |

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]