Subject: Re: Program errors
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: James Woodcock <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 11:16:58 -0400

On Tue, Jun 01, 1999 at 09:43:49AM +0000, James Woodcock wrote:
>>On Fri, May 28, 1999 at 04:07:26PM +0000, James Woodcock wrote:
>>>I am currently trying to convert our companies product from various
>>>Unix systems.  I am trying to compile one program (that is archaic) &
>>>works fine under Linux, Solaris etc, etc.  Under Windows it crashes
>>>before it gets to main().  I think it also crashes before it gets to
>>>mainCRTStartup().  If I set "STRACE=1", then run the program I get no
>>>debug output (it crashes before even that kicks in).  Does anybody know
>>>what might cause this or how to fix it?
>>
>>This would be one of the many cases where running the program under gdb
>>would probably prove useful.
>>
>>That's how you debug programs on UNIX and it's how you debug programs
>>under Cygwin, as well.
>>
>>cgf
>
>Yes.  Thank you(!) I originally found out it crashes before
>mainCRTStartup by running it through gdb after reading the cygwin FAQ.
>As it runs on both Linux and Solaris I assumed it would be a compiler
>quirk.  I'm not altogether sure how I debug code that appears before
>the stuff I've written.
>
>gdb tells me: Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault
>0x77f0528c in ??  ()
>
>Any further assistance would be apreciated.

That address denotes a system DLL.  When the program is starting in
GDB it prints the load addresses of the DLLs as they are loaded.
This should show you which DLL is having a problem.

Another thing to do is to run 'cygcheck' to see if it reports anything.

-chris

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]