Subject: Re: fork + dlls
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: Mumit Khan <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 00:01:56 -0400

On Sat, May 22, 1999 at 07:17:30PM -0500, Mumit Khan wrote:
>I had written earlier (and on an empty stomach):
>> 
>> This has been a bug since day one, and one that needs a bit of redesign
>> of the code in winsup/dll_init.cc to do it right. The current code there
>> is quite complex, and overly so in some cases, and someone who knows more 
>> about it needs to take a look. 
>
>I was confused. My local hack was completely unnecessary since the code
>is actually all there, albeit a bit too complex for me to comprehend at
>first [and here's where I plug in the empty stomach bit].

I wouldn't blame your stomoach, Mumit.  The code is pretty opaque.  It's
begging for a complete rewrite.  I've wanted to rewrite the stuff in
fork.cc several times.  Every time I look at it I realize that, to do it
right, I'd have to modify the dl* stuff, too.

>The following should fix Eric's testcase that uses dlsym across fork.

Thanks.

FYI, I wrote a 'strmatchcase' function a while ago which should be slightly
faster than strcasecmp.  I'll modify your patch to use this.

-chris

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]