Subject: Path problems in subshells
From: Mark Peterson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 19:26:28 -0700 (PDT)

I am having problems using GNAT with cygwin-b20.1 on NT4.0.  I may have
two problems, but if i put cygnus first in the path, then gnat, then
the  GNAT Ada compiler is masked over by the gcc in
H-i586-cygwin32/bin.  If I put GNAT first, then utilities like cat and
ls cannot be found by sh.exe - that is what the configure script is run
under, right?

So the subprocess (configure) does not seem to be able to find the
executables it needs.

I hope someone can help.

Thanks,
Mark

Here is cygcheck with some of the unnecessary stuff removed but it
probably looks a bit messed up:
______________________________________________________

Cygnus Win95/NT Configuration Diagnostics
Current System Time: Fri May 21 17:21:41 1999

WinNT Ver 4.0 build 1381 Service Pack 3

Path:	/c/GNAT/bin
	/c/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/bin
	/c/usr
	/c/Perl/bin
	/c/glade-3.11p/bin
	/c/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32
	/c/usr/bin
	/c/winnt/system32
	/f/VC/bin
	/c/Emacs20.3.1/bin
	/c/PROGRA~1/Winzip

SysDir: C:\WINNT\System32
WinDir: C:\WINNT

CYGWIN = `tty binmode'
HOME = `/c/usr'
MAKE_MODE = `UNIX'
PWD = `/glade-3.11p'

!C: = `C:\usr'
ADA_INCLUDE_PATH =
`c:\GNAT\mingw32\include;C:\GNAT\lib\gcc-lib\pentium-mingw32msv\2.8.1\adainclude;c:\usr\Sockets;C:\glade-3.11p\ada;c:\glade-3.11p\Dist;c:\glade-3.11p\garlic'
ADA_LIBRARY_PATH =
`C:\GNAT\lib;C:\GNAT\lib\gcc-lib\pentium-mingw32msv\2.8.1\adainclude;c:\usr\Sockets;C:\glade-3.11p\ada;c:\glade-3.11p\Dist;c:\glade-3.11p\garlic'
ADA_OBJECTS_PATH =
`C:\glade-3.11p\Dist;c:\glade-3.11p\ada;C:\usr\bin;c:\usr;;c:\usr\Sockets'
COMPUTERNAME = `MAURY'
COMSPEC = `C:\WINNT\system32\cmd.exe'
CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH = `'
CWPROOT = `/opt/su'
C_INCLUE_PATH = `'
C_LIBRARY_PATH = `'
DJGPP = `f:\DJGPP\DJGPP.ENV'
HOMEDRIVE = `C:'
HOMEPATH = `\'
HOSTNAME = `maury'
HOSTTYPE = `i586'
INCLUDE = `f:\vc\include;f:\vc\atl\include;f:\vc\mfc\include;%include%'
LIB = `f:\vc\lib;f:\vc\mfc\lib;%lib%'
LOGONSERVER = `\\MAURY'
MACHTYPE = `i586-pc-cygwin32'
MSDEVDIR = `C:\Program Files\DevStudio\SharedIDE'
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS = `1'
OS2LIBPATH = `C:\WINNT\system32\os2\dll;'
OS = `Windows_NT'
OSTYPE = `cygwin32'
P-CYGBIN = `C:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin'
P-CYGWIN = `C:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32'
P-EMACS = `c:\Emacs20.3.1\bin'
P-GNAT = `c:\GNAT\bin'
P-MINGW32 = `f:\mingw32\bin'
P-PERL = `c:\Perl\bin'
P-UTIL = `c:\PROGRA~1\Winzip'
P-W32 = `C:\winnt\system32;F:\VC\bin'
PATHEXT = `.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD'
PCSA = `C:\PW32'
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE = `x86'
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER = `x86 Family 5 Model 4 Stepping 3, GenuineIntel'
PROCESSOR_LEVEL = `5'
PROCESSOR_REVISION = `0403'
PROMPT = `$g'
SHELL = `/bin/bash'
SHLVL = `1'
SUFFIX = `.exe'
SYSTEMDRIVE = `C:'
SYSTEMROOT = `C:\WINNT'
TEMP = `C:\TEMP'
TERM = `linux'
TERMCAP = `/etc/termcap'
TMP = `C:\TEMP'
USERDOMAIN = `MAURY'
USERNAME = `peterson'
USERPROFILE = `C:\WINNT\Profiles\peterson'
USRBIN = `c:\usr\bin'
WINDIR = `C:\WINNT'
_ = `/bin/cygcheck'
_PATH =
`/GNAT/bin:/bin:/usr:/Perl/bin:/glade-3.11p/bin:/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32:/usr/bin:/winnt/system32:/f/VC/bin:/Emacs20.3.1/bin:/PROGRA~1/Winzip'

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\00
  (default) = `o:'
  unix = `/o'
  fmixed = 0x00000000
  fbinary = 0x00000000
  fsilent = 0x00000000
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\01
  (default) = `n:'
  unix = `/n'
  fbinary = 0x00000000
  fsilent = 0x00000000
  fmixed = 0x00000000
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\02
  (default) = `f:'
  unix = `/f'
  fbinary = 0x00000000
  fsilent = 0x00000000
  fmixed = 0x00000000
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\03
  (default) = `\\.\tape1:'
  unix = `/dev/st1'
  fbinary = 0x00000000
  fsilent = 0x00000001
  fmixed = 0x00000000
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\04
  (default) = `\\.\tape0:'
  unix = `/dev/st0'
  fbinary = 0x00000000
  fsilent = 0x00000001
  fmixed = 0x00000000
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\05
  (default) = `\\.\b:'
  unix = `/dev/fd1'
  fbinary = 0x00000000
  fsilent = 0x00000001
  fmixed = 0x00000000
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\06
  (default) = `\\.\a:'
  unix = `/dev/fd0'
  fbinary = 0x00000000
  fsilent = 0x00000001
  fmixed = 0x00000000
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\07
  (default) = `d:'
  unix = `/d'
  fbinary = 0x00000000
  fsilent = 0x00000000
  fmixed = 0x00000000
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\08
  (default) = `c:'
  unix = `/c'
  fbinary = 0x00000000
  fsilent = 0x00000000
  fmixed = 0x00000000
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\09
  (default) = `c:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin'
  unix = `/bin'
  fbinary = 0x00000000
  fsilent = 0x00000000
  fmixed = 0x00000000
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\0A
  (default) = `a:'
  unix = `/a'
  fbinary = 0x00000000
  fsilent = 0x00000000
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\0B
  (default) = `c:'
  unix = `/'
  fbinary = 0x00000000
  fsilent = 0x00000000
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start
Menu\&Programs\Cygnus
  (default) = (unsupported type)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start
Menu\&Programs\Cygnus Solutions
  (default) = (unsupported type)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin B20
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin B20\B20.1
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\00
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\01
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\02
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\03
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\04
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\05
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\06
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\07
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\08
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\09
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\0A
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\0B
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\0C
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\0D
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\0E
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\0F
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\10
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\11
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\12
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\13
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\14
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\15
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\16
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\17
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\18
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\19
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\1A
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\1B
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\1C
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\1D
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\GNUPro
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\GNUPro\i586-cygwin32
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus
Solutions\GNUPro\i586-cygwin32\i586-cygwin32
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus
Solutions\GNUPro\i586-cygwin32\i586-cygwin32\cygwin-B20.1
  (default) = `c:\cygnus\cygwin-b20'
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Cygnus
Cygwin B20
  (default) = `C:\WINNT\IsUninst.exe -fc:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\Uninst.isu'
  DisplayName = `Cygwin B20'

a:\ fd           N/A    N/A                    
c:\ hd  NTFS    3090Mb  80% CP CS UN PA FC     Maury
d:\ fd           N/A    N/A                    
e:\ cd  CDFS     624Mb 100%    CS UN           LSFEB13D1
f:\ hd  NTFS    2046Mb  80% CP CS UN PA FC     MAURY-USER
m:\ net ODS2    1953Mb  68% CP                 RAID
n:\ net ODS2    2048Mb  96% CP                 PCCOMMON
o:\ net ODS2    1953Mb  68% CP                 RAID

c:                                        /         native 
text!=binary
a:                                        /a        native 
text!=binary
c:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin  /bin      native 
text!=binary
c:                                        /c        native 
text!=binary
d:                                        /d        native 
text!=binary
\\.\a:                                    /dev/fd0  native 
text!=binary
\\.\b:                                    /dev/fd1  native 
text!=binary
\\.\tape0:                                /dev/st0  native 
text!=binary
\\.\tape1:                                /dev/st1  native 
text!=binary
f:                                        /f        native 
text!=binary
n:                                        /n        native 
text!=binary
o:                                        /o        native 
text!=binary

Found: c:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\bash.exe
Found: c:\usr\bin\bash.exe
Warning: c:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\bash.exe hides
c:\usr\bin\bash.exe
Found: c:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\cat.exe
Found: c:\GNAT\bin\cpp.exe
Found: c:\usr\cpp.exe
Warning: c:\GNAT\bin\cpp.exe hides c:\usr\cpp.exe
Found: c:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\find.exe
Found: c:\GNAT\bin\gcc.exe
Found: c:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\gcc.exe
Warning: c:\GNAT\bin\gcc.exe hides
c:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\gcc.exe
Found: c:\GNAT\bin\gdb.exe
Found: c:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\gdb.exe
Warning: c:\GNAT\bin\gdb.exe hides
c:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\gdb.exe
Found: c:\GNAT\bin\ld.exe
Found: c:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\ld.exe
Warning: c:\GNAT\bin\ld.exe hides
c:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\ld.exe
Found: c:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\ls.exe
Found: c:\GNAT\bin\make.exe
Found: c:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\make.exe
Warning: c:\GNAT\bin\make.exe hides
c:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\make.exe
Found: c:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\sh.exe
Found: c:\usr\bin\sh.exe
Warning: c:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\sh.exe hides
c:\usr\bin\sh.exe

  371k 1998/12/01 c:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\cygtcl80.dll
- os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygtcl80.dll" v0.0 ts=1998/12/1 0:25
    5k 1998/12/01
c:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\cygtclpip80.dll - os=4.0
img=1.0 sys=4.0
   10k 1998/12/01
c:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\cygtclreg80.dll - os=4.0
img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygtclreg80.dll" v0.0 ts=1998/12/1 0:25
  600k 1998/12/01 c:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\cygtk80.dll
- os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygtk80.dll" v0.0 ts=1998/12/1 0:28
  554k 1997/06/19 c:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\cygwin.dll -
os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygwin.dll" v0.0 ts=1997/6/17 15:18
  446k 1998/12/04 c:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\cygwin1.dll
- os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygwin1.dll" v0.0 ts=1998/12/3 20:39
  371k 1999/04/21 c:\glade-3.11p\bin\cygtcl80.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0
sys=4.0
                  "cygtcl80.dll" v0.0 ts=1998/12/1 0:25
    5k 1999/04/21 c:\glade-3.11p\bin\cygtclpip80.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0
sys=4.0
   10k 1999/04/21 c:\glade-3.11p\bin\cygtclreg80.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0
sys=4.0
                  "cygtclreg80.dll" v0.0 ts=1998/12/1 0:25
  600k 1999/04/21 c:\glade-3.11p\bin\cygtk80.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0
sys=4.0
                  "cygtk80.dll" v0.0 ts=1998/12/1 0:28
  554k 1999/04/21 c:\glade-3.11p\bin\cygwin.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0
sys=4.0
                  "cygwin.dll" v0.0 ts=1997/6/17 15:18
  446k 1999/04/21 c:\glade-3.11p\bin\cygwin1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0
sys=4.0
                  "cygwin1.dll" v0.0 ts=1998/12/3 20:39
  371k 1999/04/21 c:\usr\bin\cygtcl80.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygtcl80.dll" v0.0 ts=1998/12/1 0:25
    5k 1999/04/21 c:\usr\bin\cygtclpip80.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
   10k 1999/04/21 c:\usr\bin\cygtclreg80.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygtclreg80.dll" v0.0 ts=1998/12/1 0:25
  600k 1999/04/21 c:\usr\bin\cygtk80.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygtk80.dll" v0.0 ts=1998/12/1 0:28
  554k 1999/04/21 c:\usr\bin\cygwin.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygwin.dll" v0.0 ts=1997/6/17 15:18
  446k 1999/04/21 c:\usr\bin\cygwin1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygwin1.dll" v0.0 ts=1998/12/3 20:39
Use -h to see help about each section

_____________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Free instant messaging and more at http://messenger.yahoo.com

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]