Subject: Re: cygwin.bat fails
From: Glenn Spell <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 04:24:39 -0400 (EDT)

Since neither Suhaib nor Greg had the time or disposition to make
proper attributions in their respective messages, please forgive me
if I erred in trying to cover their misgivings.

Greg Martin <[email-masked]> wrote:

> In private email, Suhaib M. Siddiqi <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> > You can make better use of Cygwin if you upgrade to Win NT.
> > Win98 and 95 are too flaky and are meant only playing games, not
> > for serious computings.

Actually, Win95/98 have no competition, to speak of, in their
particular market segmet, the desktop OS. It's the best thing.

WinNT, on the other hand, serves no particular purpose in its
particular market segment, the server OS. Almost every other
contender in that segment runs circles around NT. Why would anyone
with half a brain even consider using NT as a server when there are
so many more reasons to use FreeBSD, Linux, or even Solaris.

The only people, by and large, who use NT are those who get paid to
do so. And the decision to pay them is made by those who have little
or no knowledge of what they are buying, in terms of software and
personnel. They're buying "hype".

And, of course, Microsoft prices NT out of the desktop market.  A few
people, for one reason or another, end up using NT as a desktop OS.
Due primarily to its heretage (OS/2), NT does perform most tasks as a
desktop OS better than Win95/98. But not being positioned to compete
in that market, it's not a contender.

Even those shops that claim to be an "NT Shop" probably have more
Win95/98 seats in the house than WinNT. In fact, there are probably
still more Win31 seats in corporate America than WinNT.

So, anyone (including you and Cygnus) who brushs aside the Win95/98
market does so at their own peril. Cygwin fits like a hand-in-glove
with Windows 95 and Windows 98.

> Personally I prefer FreeBSD for programming but want to use cygwin
> for some windows projects. Personally I'd like to see ms os's done
> away with all together but I have a recording studio and the ware I
> use requires mswindows. What's a sod to do? :-)

Guess you'll just have to keep using Pegasus for FreeBSD.  ;-)

> > Greg Martin <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> > > I can run sh then bash just fine but there seems to be a
> > > problem with the bat file that the start menu accesses. I can't
> > > see a problem and am hopiung someone can for me. The errors I
> > > get are:
> > > Too many parameters
> > > Bad command or file name

Is the .BAT file formatted in DOS/Windows style or Unix?

> > > The bat file looks like this:
> > > @ECHO OFF
> > > SET MAKE_MODE=UNIX
> > > SET PATH=d:\CYGNUS\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\BIN;%PATH%
> > > bash

Add "REM " before "@ECHO OFF" to help see what's happening.

> > > I'm thrilled to have unix emulation on mswindows.

Then what will you do if your wish that "ms os's done away with all
together" comes true?

> > > Any chance I'll get a core dump instead of the blue screen of
> > > death? ;-)

Core dumps are coming with the next release. The BSODs will always be
with us.

-glenn

-- 
 )      Glenn Spell <[email-masked]>      )   _       _____
 )   Fayetteville, North Carolina, C. S. A.   )_ (__\____o /_/_ |
 )  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  )   >-----._/_/__]>
 )- blue skies - happy trails - sweet dreams -)             `0  |

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]