Subject: Re: [ANN] gdb-4.18 for Cygwin b20/Mingw
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: Mumit Khan <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 10:51:59 -0400

On Thu, May 06, 1999 at 12:41:57AM -0500, Mumit Khan wrote:
>On Wed, 5 May 1999, Chris Faylor wrote:
>
>> The readline that comes with gdb is the standard GNU readline.
>
>My apologies for coming to the wrong conclusion. I assume those "MINIMAL"
>additions were local changes in gdb, and with the new imported readline,
>now it's gone.

The hacks that used to be in readline were local Cygnus hacks.  It was
decided (not by me) to just go with the standard GNU readline as much as
possible.  We needed some of the functionality found in later versions
and didn't want to worry about getting local hacks back into the
sources.

>I'll see if I can come up with something reasonable and forward it to Chet
>Ramsey. Unfortunately, I can't see how I can do anything better than the
>rather ugly MINIMAL hacks to make readline work on mingw. Oh well.

I never liked those hacks.  Have you looked at the newest version of
readline.  I think I remember that there was a push to modularize stuff
a little more.  That might make changes easier.

We've been wanting to upgrade the readline in our source repository to
the latest version but no one here had any cycles.  And, the last time
this happened it generated email comments for months as we found little
dependencies on the "old" readline.

>Until I do anything useful, what I will do is to forward my mingw specific
>gdb changes (small trivial patches) to gdb folks so that those are in. I
>can always maintain my local tree with old readline for mingw.

You can forward them to me.  I'm also a gdb manager (but I don't play
one on TV) and maintainer for native Windows gdb sources.

-chris

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]