Subject: Re: (patch) newlib rint fix
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: Mumit Khan <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 19:45:43 -0400

On Sun, May 02, 1999 at 06:36:32PM -0500, Mumit Khan wrote:
>On Sun, 2 May 1999, Chris Faylor wrote:
>>>The fdlibm assume correct rounding according to the type throughout the
>>>entire set of functions.  I'd suggest to compile all fdlibm functions
>>>with --float-store which should have the same effect.  This avoids
>>>fixing one function after the other.
>>
>>I'll ping the newlib maintainer again and see what he thinks about this
>>issue.
>
>This is a terrible idea, since the performance goes down the drain.
>Please reconsider the use of -ffloat-store.  I believe that this
>particular problem has more to do with code that was written without
>aggressive optimization in mind than rounding modes in x86 FPU.  Jacob
>Navia had suggested an alternative using assembly code that does do the
>right thing.

Ok.  I wasn't necessarily advocating the use of -ffloat-store, I was
just relaying the one response to the "volatile" fix that you mentioned.

It's entirely likely that we might (soon) have an assembly fix for this,
similar to Jacob Navia's.  Hopefully, the newlib maintainer will have a
strong opinion on how this should be fixed and will fix it soon once and
for all.

-chris

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]