Subject: CygWin MAKE problem.
From: Brendan Simon <[email-masked]>
To: CygWin32 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 04:34:55 +0000

I have been having problems with MAKE using CygWin B.20.1.  Note that I
am using the Win98 command.com as a command shell.

If I run "make" (with the makefile listed at the end of this message) I
get "Bad command or filename".  If I type "make -d" to get debug info, I
get messages saying :
    Putting child 0x02567f48 PID 1252 on the chain.
    Putting child 0x02567f48 PID 1252Bad command or file name
    Got a SIGCHLD; 1 unreaped children.
    Live child 0x02567f48 PID 1252
    Reaping winning child 0x02567f48 PID 1252 from chain.
    Successfully remade target file 'help'

If I install a mingw32 make.exe (from Mumit's site, Jan Jaap's or Earnie
Boyd's ports) then the makefile produces the correct output.  Why do
these work and the cygwin distribution doesn't ?
Interesting enough, I still need the cygwin stuff in my path so I can
use "mkdir" and "echo" but I guess their just shell issues.  It seems I
must use echo that comes with cygwin as it can handle \n where as the
DOS shell can not.  I tried using multiple echo commands for each line
of output but it takes in the order of seconds to invoke and display
each echo command.  It is far too slow, so I put the display string in
one variable to print out with embedded \n characters.

Is make.exe broken in the cygwin b20.1 release ?
Is it wise to replace it with Mumit's make.exe from his web site ?
I just noticed that the one on Mumit's site (mingw32/ports) is make
version 3.75.  I think I'll stick with the i386-mingw32-make.exe version
3.77 that I received from Earnie Boyd.

Thanks,
Brendan Simon.

#############################################################################

# Start of Makefile
#############################################################################

#SHELL does not get set properly with MinGW32 GNU MAKE for some strange
reason.
#MYSHELL        =   c:/command.com /c
#MYSHELL        =   /bin/sh.exe -c
#SHELL          =   $(MYSHELL)
#MAKESHELL      =   $(MYSHELL)
MAKE            =   make
ECHO            =   @$(MYSHELL) echo
MKDIR           =   $(MYSHELL) mkdir
RM              =   deltree /y
RM              =   rm -rf

HELP_MSG    +=
\\n------------------------------------------------------------
HELP_MSG    +=  \\n HELP : Makefile targets :
HELP_MSG    +=  \\n
HELP_MSG    +=  \\n make help         - Display this help message.
HELP_MSG    +=  \\n make all          - Build all targets \(local,
remote\).
HELP_MSG    +=  \\n make local        - Local target.
HELP_MSG    +=  \\n make remote       - Remote target.
HELP_MSG    +=  \\n make clean        - Remove entire build tree.
HELP_MSG    +=  \\n make local-clean  - Remove entire local build tree.
HELP_MSG    +=  \\n make remote-clean - Remove entire remote build tree.

HELP_MSG    +=
\\n------------------------------------------------------------

.PHONY : help
help :
    $(ECHO) $(HELP_MSG)

#############################################################################

# End of Makefile
#############################################################################

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]