Subject: Re: Help with installing
From: "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], Nirmal Vuppuluri <[email-masked]>
Cc: cygwin users <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 15:54:05 -0500

At 12:39 PM 3/29/99 -0800, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>--- "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> At 11:13 AM 3/29/99 -0800, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>--8<--
>> >I believe that you are using NT, is this correct?  If so, you are a member
>of
>> >the administrator group, is this correct?  If yes, to both of these, then
>> you'll
>> >have to modify the registry data with regedit to modify the root path. 
>> You'll
>> >find the key under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Cygnus Solutions.  Follow the
>> >paths until you find the appropriate one and modify the value.  If you do
>> >`cygcheck -r' you'll have a list of the registry entries created/used by
>> >cygwin.
>--8<--
>> I answer yes to both of your queries but I never have had to do what you
>> suggest to get mounts to work properly for any reason, although I'll admit
>> that I've had Cygwin installed for a long time so maybe I'm missing something
>> now.  Can you explain why you think Nirmal needs to do this and what it 
>> gets around?
>--8<--
>
>Basically, because _I_ have to.  At some point there was added a set of keys for
>the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to control the defaults for the local machine and this
>would allow consistency between multiple users while allowing each user to
>control his set of keys via HKEY_CURRENT_USER.  After this was added, I wasn't
>able to use the `umount / && mount Z:\\ /' methods (in any combination of
>commands) to change the mount point for root while a member of the administrator
>group.
>
>NOTE: I haven't tried this with the current snapshots.  It may very well be
>fixed already.
>
>===
>-                        \\||//
>-------------------o0O0--Earnie--0O0o-------------------
>--                [email-masked]               --
>----------------------ooo0O--O0ooo----------------------
>
>_________________________________________________________

OK, very well.  I've never really had any trouble umounting /, unless I
tried it from outside of bash.  Your proposal may be necessary in certain 
cases of which I'm not aware.  I'm note sure whether this is really related 
to the original poster's problem, although looking in the registry would 
certainly answer whether or not his mount points are getting persistently 
stored anyway...

Larry Hall                             [email-masked]
RFK Partners, Inc.                     (781) 239-1053
8 Grove Street                         (781) 239-1655
Wellesley, MA, 02482-7797              http://www.rfk.com

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]