Subject: Re: [ANN] GMP 2.0.2 binaries for cygwin/mingw
From: [email-masked] (Michael Weiser)
To: DJ Delorie <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 10:38:50 GMT

Hello DJ, you wrote:
>> BTW: Why is libiberty called libiberty
>It's a play on words, sort of.  In Unix, library "foo" has file
>"libfoo.a" and uses "-lfoo" to link, so with libiberty, you end up
>typing "-liberty" on your command lines all the time.  The idea was to
>liberate the programmer from the deficiencies of the OS-supplied
>library by fixing or supplying whatever the OS lacked, like strdup,
>which isn't available in Ultrix, and memcmp, which isn't available in
>SunOS.
Thanks a lot for that explanation. I already thought of something like
that while typing -liberty. :)
-- 
bye, Michael

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]