Subject: Re: licensing NOT clear for me
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: creative1 <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 11:11:22 -0500

On Thu, Mar 18, 1999 at 10:53:04AM -0500, creative1 wrote:
>I am reading all these posts about the license on cygnus, well several
>weeks ago I asked something that NOBODY answered clearly.
>
>It was this simple:
>I have a program under unix, under GPL license, etc...
>No problem there.
>
>Then I decided to make some changes so it compiles under cygwin and
>here is the problem...  I make my binaries available to the public but:
>Can I include the cygwin1.dll on the .zip file???  It seems i have to
>include the source code of the library, but that would make a 20 megas
>cygwin source (more than 20 times the actual program).
>
>Can someone help?  I consider stupid to include 20 megas for a simple
>program.  Maybe I am wrong, but that is why I asked and nobody seems to
>know the answer.

You do not have to include the sources.  You just have to be prepared to
make the sources available to someone via the same mechanism that you
distributed your program.

That means that if you distribute the program on diskette you have to be
prepared to provide the sources on diskette.  If you distributed the
sources on the web, you have to be able to make the sources available
via the web.

One thing that I don't believe anyone has mentioned (and I hope that DJ
will correct me if I'm wrong) is that you can charge a processing fee
for providing the sources.  That means that if you provide your program
to someone who would now like to get the cygwin sources you can say "Ok.
There will be a $50 handling charge.  Please send it to me so that I can
process your request.  Or, you can go to
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/ and get the sources from there for
free."

Check out http://www.gnu.org/ to see what they charge for processing
fees.

-chris

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]