Subject: Re: [ANN] EGCS-1.1.2 binaries for Cygwin b20.1 available
From: [email-masked] (Theodore Jump)
To: Mumit Khan <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 05:37:21 GMT

Mumit,

I want to thank you for your work, but I've a quirk I can't quite figure out
preventing me from using the new release for Cygwin code builds.

Basically, it appears that 'as' is being called with an incomplete command line
in that it's not being fed a proper file name (it's being fed a ^M as the file
name), thus the build of even a trivial file fails, e.g.: g++ test.cc

I tried this altering the state of my CYGWIN env-var, removing either and both
of 'tty' and 'binmode' but this did not change the behavior at all.

Building either a C or CPP file results in build failure, I have not tested
other types.  The same build error occurs if I'm trying to generate an .o file
or a .exe file.

The error reported is:

    Assembler messages:
     for reading.open
    : No such file or directory

... and occurs with or without the '-save-temps' option.

I'm including my test case source, 'gcc -v' output, and 'cygcheck -s' output in
the hopes that you can shed some light on this.

I hope I don't seem like a total putz for not figuring out what's causing this.

TIA,
-Ted

PS: The Mingw32 variant compiles and links my test case fine, it's just the
Cygwin variant (using in BASH or CMD) that's problematical for me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--- sample source -----------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main(int,char**)
{
	cout << "hello" << endl;
	return 0;
}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--- gcc -v output -----------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reading specs from
e:/gnu/Cygwin-B20/h-i586-cygwin32/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/egcs-2.91.66/specs
gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314 (egcs-1.1.2 release)

e:/gnu/Cygwin-B20/h-i586-cygwin32/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/egcs-2.91.66/cpp.exe
-lang-c++ -v -iprefix
e:/gnu/Cygwin-B20/h-i586-cygwin32/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/egcs-2.91.66/
-undef -D__GNUC__=2 -D__GNUG__=2 -D__cplusplus -D__GNUC_MINOR__=91 -Di386
-D_WIN32 -DWINNT -D_X86_=1 -D__STDC__=1
-D__stdcall=__attribute__((__stdcall__)) -D__cdecl=__attribute__((__cdecl__))
-D__declspec(x)=__attribute__((x)) -D__i386__ -D_WIN32 -D__WINNT__ -D_X86_=1
-D__STDC__=1 -D__stdcall=__attribute__((__stdcall__))
-D__cdecl=__attribute__((__cdecl__)) -D__declspec(x)=__attribute__((x))
-D__i386 -D__WINNT -Asystem(winnt) -Acpu(i386) -Amachine(i386) -D__EXCEPTIONS
-remap -D__CYGWIN32__ -D__CYGWIN__ test.cc /tmp/ccrG3iFV.ii
GNU CPP version egcs-2.91.66 19990314 (egcs-1.1.2 release) (80386, BSD syntax)
#include "..." search starts here:
#include <...> search starts here:

e:/gnu/Cygwin-B20/h-i586-cygwin32/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/egcs-2.91.66/../../../../../include/g++

e:/gnu/Cygwin-B20/h-i586-cygwin32/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/egcs-2.91.66/../../../../../include

e:/gnu/Cygwin-B20/h-i586-cygwin32/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/egcs-2.91.66/../../../../i586-cygwin32/include

e:/gnu/Cygwin-B20/h-i586-cygwin32/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/egcs-2.91.66/include
End of search list.

e:/gnu/Cygwin-B20/h-i586-cygwin32/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/egcs-2.91.66/cc1plus.exe
/tmp/ccrG3iFV.ii -quiet -dumpbase test.cc -version -o /tmp/ccEkg9AL.s
GNU C++ version egcs-2.91.66 19990314 (egcs-1.1.2 release) (i586-cygwin32)
compiled by GNU C version egcs-2.91.66 19990314 (egcs-1.1.2 release).

e:/gnu/Cygwin-B20/h-i586-cygwin32/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/egcs-2.91.66/../../../../i586-cygwin32/bin/as.exe
^M
Assembler messages:
Error: Can't open ^M for reading.
^M: No such file or directory

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--- cygcheck -s output ------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cygnus Win95/NT Configuration Diagnostics
Current System Time: Tue Mar 16 23:24:01 1999

WinNT Ver 4.0 build 1381 Service Pack 4

Path:	.
	/usr/local/bin
	/bin
	/usr/X11R6.4/bin

SysDir: E:\WINNT\System32
WinDir: E:\WINNT

CYGWIN = `tty binmode glob title strip_title'
HOME = `/home'
LIBRARY_PATH = `/usr/local/lib:/usr/X11/lib:/Cygwin-B20/H-i586-cygwin32/lib'
MAKE_MODE = `unix'
PWD = `/src'
TCL_LIBRARY = `/Cygwin-B20/share/tcl8.0'

Use `-r' to scan registry

a:\ fd  FAT        1Mb 100% CP    UN           MARVINROID
b:\ fd           N/A    N/A                    
c:\ hd  FAT      352Mb   2% CP    UN           BOOTSTRAP
d:\ hd  FAT      274Mb  94% CP    UN           PAGEFILE
e:\ hd  NTFS    4000Mb  52% CP CS UN PA FC     SystemNT
f:\ hd  NTFS    3859Mb  54% CP CS UN PA FC     Workspace
g:\ hd  FAT32    998Mb  44% CP    UN           SYSTEM9X
r:\ cd           N/A    N/A                    
z:\ fd  FAT     1020Mb  78% CP    UN           BLANK

e:\gnu                                               /               native
text=binary
e:\gnu\Cygwin-B20\h-i586-cygwin32\bin                /bin            native
text=binary
e:\gnu\usr\dev                                       /dev            native
text=binary
\\.\a:                                               /dev/fd0        native
text=binary
\\.\b:                                               /dev/fd1        native
text=binary
\\.\LPT1                                             /dev/lp         native
text=binary
\\.\NUL                                              /dev/nul        native
text=binary
\\.\NUL                                              /dev/null       native
text=binary
\\.\LPT1                                             /dev/parallel1  native
text=binary
\\.\COM1                                             /dev/serial1    native
text=binary
\\.\COM2                                             /dev/serial2    native
text=binary
e:\gnu\usr\etc                                       /etc            native
text=binary
f:\home                                              /home           native
text=binary
e:\gnu\Cygwin-B20\H-i586-cygwin32\i586-cygwin32\lib  /lib            native
text=binary
f:\src                                               /src            native
text=binary
c:\temp                                              /tmp            native
text=binary
f:\udl                                               /udl            native
text=binary

Found: e:\gnu\Cygwin-B20\h-i586-cygwin32\bin\bash.exe
Found: e:\gnu\Cygwin-B20\h-i586-cygwin32\bin\cat.exe
Not Found: cpp (good!)
Found: e:\gnu\Cygwin-B20\h-i586-cygwin32\bin\find.exe
Found: e:\gnu\Cygwin-B20\h-i586-cygwin32\bin\gcc.exe
Found: e:\gnu\Cygwin-B20\h-i586-cygwin32\bin\gdb.exe
Found: e:\gnu\Cygwin-B20\h-i586-cygwin32\bin\ld.exe
Found: e:\gnu\Cygwin-B20\h-i586-cygwin32\bin\ls.exe
Found: e:\gnu\usr\local\bin\make.exe
Found: e:\gnu\Cygwin-B20\h-i586-cygwin32\bin\make.exe
Found: e:\gnu\Cygwin-B20\h-i586-cygwin32\bin\sh.exe

  371k 1998/12/01 e:\gnu\Cygwin-B20\h-i586-cygwin32\bin\cygtcl80.dll
    5k 1998/12/01 e:\gnu\Cygwin-B20\h-i586-cygwin32\bin\cygtclpip80.dll
   10k 1998/12/01 e:\gnu\Cygwin-B20\h-i586-cygwin32\bin\cygtclreg80.dll
  600k 1998/12/01 e:\gnu\Cygwin-B20\h-i586-cygwin32\bin\cygtk80.dll
  446k 1998/12/04 e:\gnu\Cygwin-B20\h-i586-cygwin32\bin\cygwin1.dll
Use -h to see help about each section

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]