Subject: Re: MKS Tool kit copies request
From: "Suhaib M. Siddiqi" <[email-masked]>
To: "Weiqi Gao" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 13:34:37 -0500

>"Suhaib M. Siddiqi" wrote:
>>
>> Nope, I cannot let you use a copy of it.  It was given to me as a gift
>> by one of the MKS Toolkit sales person.
>>
>> I am against violating the license agreement of anyone.  If you need it
>> then you have to either get a demo of it or buy valid a license from
>> Datafocus Inc., It costs $ 149.00 per seat.
>
>Wasn't the MKS Toolkit licensed to Microsoft to be included in the next
>version of NT?  I remember reading a press story about Mr. Korn showing
>up in one of the Microsoft demos, and challenged the compliance of that
>version of Korn shell, which the Microsoft manager vehemently denied
>until someone pointed out that he's being challenged by Mr. Korn
>himself.
>

This is irrelevant to a request for unauthorized copy of a licensed
software.

What Microsoft includes in the next version and what it does not, is not my
business.  Even Microsoft includes it in Win NT 5.0 (aka Win 2000)  does not
authorize me or you to do unauthorized distribution of a software.  It is a
copyright software by Datafocus and I have no justifications to accept a
request for illegal copies. If someone needs it, go get it via proper
channels.

To answer your comments about David Korn etc, I would say again *irrelevent*
to the question asked by one of the user of Cygwin for illegal copy of a
software.  These are Microsoft, Datafocus and David Korn problems.  Ksh is
copyrighted by Mr. Korn and he has every right to fight the copyright
violations.

No, MKS Toolkit will not be available free with NT 5.0 (Win 2000).  It will
be called UNIX option pack (Note the word Option pack), that means you have
to pay extra for it if you want it.

Regardless, a software is available as a bundled package or will/won't be
available as part of a Operating System is not an argument or justification
to distribute unauthorized copies of it.

regards

Suhaib

>--
>Weiqi Gao
>[email-masked]
>
>--
>Want to unsubscribe from this list?
>Send a message to [email-masked]
>
>

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]