Subject: Re: [ANN] Cygwin DEV survey
From: [email-masked] (Michael Weiser)
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 10:37:11 GMT

Hello Stipe, you wrote:
>> > *     Of course, using InstallShield, you could offer some of these as
>> > options under "Custom" setup.
>> 8<
>> Yuk.  Just give me a tarball please.
>the cygwin port packages will be available as tarballs for after-install
>use, but the basic installation procedure for core cygwin and all
>pre-compiled packages will be within InstallShield since it is a very
>powerfull tool for such purposes on Win32 systems and new cygwin users
>should be more familiar with InstallShield than saying "tar xfz
>foo.tar.gz" within a non-DOS bash shell.
Why? Someone who can't do a tar -xzvf will also be unable to use
cygwin after install. It's the old thread which shows up here
regularly and I'm one of those who want tar's or even better rpm's.

>> I like the idea, too.  However, it is a given that you'll never
>> satisfy everyone and if you're too lazy to read do the FAQ session
>> then you're going to be too lazy to read any other installation manual
>> as well.  I can just hear the questions now, "I just got this CD and
>> I'm trying to ...". ;^)
>Hmmm, that's why we want to build the CD environment as clean as
>possible, like SuSE does it with the latest 6.0 release. Mainly all
>packages should work after installation. Support for re-compiling the
>packages will be very limited.
If recompiling support is limited, then you'll immediately be
violating the GPL (according to DJ Delorie).

BTW: SuSE is getting worse with every release. :-|
-- 
bye, Michael

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]