Subject: Re: [ANN] Cygwin DEV survey
From: Stipe Tolj <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: "Smith, Martin" <[email-masked]>, Cygwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 02:22:37 +0100

Earnie Boyd wrote:
> > *     Of course, using InstallShield, you could offer some of these as
> > options under "Custom" setup.
> 8<
> 
> Yuk.  Just give me a tarball please.

the cygwin port packages will be available as tarballs for after-install
use, but the basic installation procedure for core cygwin and all
pre-compiled packages will be within InstallShield since it is a very
powerfull tool for such purposes on Win32 systems and new cygwin users
should be more familiar with InstallShield than saying "tar xfz
foo.tar.gz" within a non-DOS bash shell.

> I like the idea, too.  However, it is a given that you'll never
> satisfy everyone and if you're too lazy to read do the FAQ session
> then you're going to be too lazy to read any other installation manual
> as well.  I can just hear the questions now, "I just got this CD and
> I'm trying to ...". ;^)

Hmmm, that's why we want to build the CD environment as clean as
possible, like SuSE does it with the latest 6.0 release. Mainly all
packages should work after installation. Support for re-compiling the
packages will be very limited.

Regards,
Stipe

-- 
Stipe Tolj <[email-masked]>
Cygwin Porting Project
Department of Economical Computer Science        
University of Cologne, Germany                  
http://www-public.rz.uni-duesseldorf.de/~tolj

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]