Subject: Re: Does GPL apply without Cygwin stub? [long and off-topic] (was Re: [ANN] Cygwin DEV survey)
From: "Suhaib M. Siddiqi" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 18:19:46 -0500

>>However, this does NOT mean that the cygwin1.dll they include is a
>>GPL'd product - you must treat it like any other proprietary software,
>>and neither copy nor redistribute it, nor use it for anything other
>>than running their applictions.
>
>Ergo, if you buy such a product, you MUST NOT run any other software
that
>loads the cygwin1.dll, because either you would be making their product
>load the GPL'd dll or your GPL software would be loading the license
>restricted dll.
>

This absolutely vague.  If this is so, then why someone should buy that
product???

>At least Big Blue thought at least this far and required you to rename
and
>trim out their C++ library DLLs for your products.
>

What does it mean?

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]